Sunday, July 12, 2009

Hottest 100...

I don't know how anyone can narrow their favourite songs down to a list of only 10! I find it hard enough to list my top 10 artists, or top 10 albums, let alone only top 10 songs.

I've attempted to narrow my top 10 albums of all time, whilst listening to the top 100 of all time on triple J. There is so much that can be said about that countdown : I wish it was the top 100 of this decade, or of the 90's or something. Of all time, voted by Triple J listeners, makes me really annoyed.

So, my top ten albums (as of today, anyway)

---

Jeff Buckley - Grace

Neil Young - Harvest

Pixies - Doolittle

Radiohead - OK Computer

The Beatles - The Beatles (White Album)

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Ryan Adams - Cold Roses

Bon Iver - For Emma, Forever Ago

The Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed

Arcade Fire - Funeral

---

Oh, so hard. Some close calls :

My Morning Jacket - Z // Any Beatles album, and quite a few Bob Dylan albums. Same with Radiohead, Ryan Adams and The Rolling Stones. // Air - Moon Safari // Augie March - Moo, You Bloody Choir // Quite a few Nirvana albums // The Avalanches - Since I left you // The Drones - Gala Mill // Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty // Bloc Party - Silent Alarm // Coldplay - A Rush of Blood To The Head // David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust // Eddie Vedder - Into The Wild // Elliot Smith - Figure 8 // Gomez - Bring It On // Led Zeppelin (I can't chose just one!) // Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News // Oasis - (What's The Story) Morning Glory // Miles Davis - Some Kind Of Blue

God, this list could go on forever... and now to listen to the rest of the countdown ( #31 Metallica - Enter Sandman, playing at the moment).

What would be in your top 10 favourite albums of all time?

9 comments:

  1. Fantastic list Sophie!
    My ten would probably be (in no particular order bar the first three):

    Ryan Adams & The Cardinals: Cold Roses
    Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    Ryan Adams: Love Is Hell
    The Vines: Winning Days
    The Strokes: Room On Fire
    The Libertines: The Libertines
    Bloc Party: Intimacy
    The National: Alligator
    The Killers: Hot Fuss
    Red Hot Chili Peppers: Californication

    These lists are almost always impossibly hard though - the last two for example, aren't two of the two best CDs that I own, but are rated as favourites simply for the enjoyment that they brought at the time.
    My shortlist was pretty large too, and I know that I am missing stuff - Ryan Adams (Heartbreaker, Darkbreaker (I <3 this so much - it should have been released), The Suicide Handbook, 48 Hours and 29), Ryan Adams & The Cardinals (Jacksonville City Nights), Neil Young (After The Gold Rush, Harvest, Live at Massey Hall 1979, On The Beach and Tonight's The Night), Neil Young & Crazy Horse (Rust Never Sleeps), Bloc Party (Silent Alarm), Modest Mouse (We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank), The Strokes (Is This It and First Impressions of Earth), The Libertines (Up The Bracket), The Postal Service (Give Up), Death Cab For Cutie (Plans and Narrow Stairs), The Pixies (Doolittle), Radiohead (OK Computer, Hail To The Thief and In Rainbows), Wilco (Being There, A Ghost Is Born and Summerteeth), The Vines (Highly Evolved), Weezer (Weezer (Blue)), Arcade Fire (Funeral), Coldplay (A Rush Of Blood To The Head) and Elliot Smith (Figure 8).
    Bah, so hard. But at least I know what to listen to this week :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, you're always the best at these sort of things Marcus! You've got great taste there, nearly all of those albums would make my top 20 - I don't know The National though - must get onto them. Interesting choice with Bloc Party - I loved Silent Alarm heaps more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha - no way Jose.
    Intimacy > Silent Alarm! The lyrics Sophie! Won't somebody please think of the lyrics!
    Also, I am definetely going to be biased, because Signs is probably my favourite song of all time (maybe, it's either Signs or When The Stars Go Blue).
    You've never heard the National? *gasp* I forgot to mention that I also short-listed Boxer and Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers.
    They are so, so wonderful. I am pretty sure you would really love them.

    THE NATIONAL - MR. NOVEMBER (LIVE AT THE CORNER HOTEL 18/01/08)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EIWuxz5flc
    Mr. November is the album closer for Alligator, it's utterly brilliant. The National don't really 'rock out' like this much any more, but it was pretty amazing to see live. It was one of the best gigs that I have ever been to. Coincidentally I was standing right in front of the guitarist on the far right and had to dodge every single time that he turned his guitar. haha.

    90-MILE WATER WALL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSlpbJKZGcE
    <3 This song is so very pretty. It's on Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers. I can almost play it now.

    KARAMAZOV (THE RUNAWAY) - NEW SONG
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjskJAKeJdM&feature=fvst
    I am in love with this new song. I honestly cannot wait until the new album.

    Let me know when you are out next, text me or send me an e-mail, and I will burn you some National. I have a feeling you'll get into them, I keep suggesting them to Maherby, but she just continues not to listen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't commit to a list that short, too many albums, all equally superb in their own way. But then again the Hanson MM-Bop' album would be a real contender.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You mean their 'Middle of Nowhere' album, which had their first single 'Mmmbop' ? hehe. That was the first album I ever bought! ha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm surprised it's not on your list ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a tough call between that and B*Witched's self-titled first album, containing their breakthrough hit (and possibly their greatest song) 'C'est La Vie'

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
    The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy and the Lash
    U2 - Boy
    Neil Young - Harvest
    Pixies - Doolittle
    The Clash - London Calling
    The Cure - the Head on the Door
    Planxty - Planxty
    Hunters and Collectors - Human Frailty
    Billy Bragg - Talking to the Taxman about Poetry


    showing my true colours as an old fogey.

    Couldn't fit any stones, cash, dylan, kinks, led zep, who or hendrix in cos really they should be in another league. As in stuff you should dig before you are allowed to listen to anything else anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha, so true Paddy. I get very High Fidelity over things like this. Even a top 10 albums is far, far too broad.

    There should be a compulsory listening top 10, too.

    ReplyDelete