Sunday, May 17, 2009

Weekend of Warmth.

Well, I didn't end up Grooving the Moo. As much as the lineup was kick-arse (and Okkervil River are disappointing to pass by...), I had a lovely weekend tucked away in sleepy Talbot, eating lovely things, watching funny things, and relaxing. Oh, and a bit of designing too.

Thaw Four is off to the printers tomorrow! And what a mission this issue has been to finish. Not only are things always frantic in Thaw World, but Rohan and Kim (Editor and Creative Director of the mag, and the general brains/organisers/founders/creatives behind the whole publication) are in the midst of renovating their new house, and moving out of their old one. You can read about their adventures in home beautifying and stress management here.

So, Thaw Four, I think, is our best effort yet. A lot more content, lovely pictures thanks to the talented Teagan for our Grunge-Chic Fashion shoot, and a new, cleaner layout thanks to me having a lot of spare time lately. I even took up writing a little bit for this issue, along with the usual grapho and illustration work. Hopefully the proofs will come back from the printers tip-top!






You can still buy our Autumn issue from our Ballarat retails until June 1st, or of course at our online store - where you can pre-order our Winter wonder, or buy a subscription for the next year of Thaw for only $12! I'm turning into such a salesperson - or spammer!

Apart from turning into a publicist for the mag and overwhelming myself with designmania, I also managed to catch the Talbot Farmer's Market this morning, traipsing around stalls with my boyfriend who happens to live in this little town, and buying delicious fudge (mmm rocky road!), olives, fresh bread, cupcakes and some dodgy old CDs for $2 each. I resisted from buying quite a few hats - I'll have to save up my pennies for next time!

To top off our Sunday afternoon, we had a great all-day breaky at Europa, and caught the new Star Trek movie. I really enjoyed this film - and I don't think it was geeky at all! *cough cough*. Well, maybe a little bit. But it was fun, action-filled and very enjoyable.

While waiting for the movies to start, we walked straight into an advertisement for VB being filmed on Lydiard and Sturt Streets. Seemed like most of the town was being shut down, and that a large majority of Ballaratians were in costume and on camera!

I took a couple of sneaky snaps, of some of our friends being "farmers with their hands up cows" and "tall poppies", on their way to the pub for a hard-earned cold VB. Matter of fact... no, I'm not a massive VB drinker. But still, will be looking forward to seeing this one on my TV screen sometime - my bet is on footy finals!





Thanks Herald Sun website for the last one!

And rounding off a weekend with last minute Thaw bits and pieces, getting her all dolled up and ready to go the the printers tomorrow. How exciting! Bring on Issue 5!

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations. You've officially seen the Star Trek movie before me.

    How does that make you feel? :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was wondering what was going on in Lydiard on the weekend. I'm looking forward to the next issue of Thaw :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The VB ad was awesome for business. We had heaps of the creative directors come into the op-shop to buy extra costume bits and pieces.
    Also looking forward to Thaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, the VB ad looked like fun - but a few mates of mine who took part said that the hours were terrible - lots and lots of waiting around on set and endless walking in costume! Would have been an interesting experience though - wish they didn't have age restrictions on who could take part!

    Thanks, I'm looking forward to Thaw, too! It's on sale on the 1st June - though if you buy a subscription online you get it a bit earlier ;-) hehe

    ReplyDelete